Monday, August 27, 2012

John Adams federalist

I am John Adams. I was 52 years old in 1787. I am a federalist. I was in London serving as a diplomat for his young country in 1787.  I wrote and published A Defence of the Constitutions of Government of the United States of America in three volumes. The American edition was published the same year in New York and Philadelphia. The work occurs in the middle of his career and reflects the depth of thought that our founders engaged in while building a new country.  I explores and encourages others to read the writings of philosophers and sages from all ages: Machiavel, Sidney, Locke, Harrington, Milton, Ponnet, the Vindiciae contra Tyrannos, Hoadley, Trenchard, Gordon, and Plato Redivivus.
Early in 1778, after nearly four years service in Congress, I was sent to France to help secure French aid. Subsequently, I was sent to The Hague to obtain a much needed loan and to open commerce. In 1781, together with Franklin, John Jay, and Henry Laurens, I was part of the commission of American diplomats that negotiated the Treaty of Paris, the pact that brought an end to the War of Independence. I returned home once during the war, a brief sojourn from July until November 1779, during which time he helped draft the Massachusetts Constitution of 1780.
Adams remained in Europe following the war. From 1784 to 1785, I served on a diplomatic mission whose goal was to arrange treaties of commerce with several European nations. In 1785, he became the first United States minister to England. During 1784, I had been joined by his wife, whom he had not seen for five years. She was accompanied to Europe by the Adams's daughter, "Nabby." Their sons, Charles, Thomas Boylston, and John Quincy, spent these years in the United States completing their schooling.
By the end of the American Revolution,I had earned a solid reputation as a patriot who had served his country at considerable personal sacrifice. I was known as a brilliant and blunt-spoken man of independent mind. I additionally acquired a reputation for the essays he published during the 1770s and 1780s. His "Thoughts on Government" (1776) argued that the various functions of government—executive, judiciary, and legislative—must be separated in order to prevent tyranny. I Defence of the Constitutions of Government of the United States of America (1787) presented I thinking that the greatest dangers to any polity came from unbridled democracy and an unrestrained aristocracy capable of becoming an oligarchy. The antidote to these dangers was a strong executive. I spoke of this powerful executive as the "father and protector" of the nation and its ordinary citizens, for this person was the sole official with the independence to act in a disinterested manner. In 1790, I expanded on this theme in a series of essays for a Philadelphia newspaper that were ultimately known as "Discourses on Davila." Many contemporaries mistakenly believed that they advocated a hereditary monarchy for the United States.




http://hua.umf.maine.edu/Reading_Revolutions/Adams.html


http://millercenter.org/president/adams/essays/biography/2


https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=john+adams&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&biw=1360&bih=636&wrapid=tlif134607943763210&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=1oo7UIGJPKPd0QHItIGYBw






 






No comments:

Post a Comment